Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Distracted by Double-Sided Crochet

As if I don't have enough projects either going or that I need to get going, I got side-tracked by learning how to do double-sided crochet (also called padded or reversible crochet).  I've been crocheting all my life (well, since I was about 8 years old) and had never come across this technique before.

It's done by crocheting two sides of an item at one time, one row of one side then one row of the other side.  They are attached by the slip stitch that makes up the first part of each stitch, whether it is a single crochet, half-double crochet, etc.  Okay, it sounds more complicated than it really is.  There is a tutorial on-line that shows how to do it.  But what is fascinating is that it is made up of two complete sides that do not pull apart at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPevqTpsN0

So what exactly is the attraction of this?  It is a lovely 2-layered potholder or table mat (or afghan) that you can make out of two or more colors.  I think you just have to feel it to appreciate it.  And so now I need to see about making one side an entirely different stitch from the other side.  This isn't to be confused with interlocking crochet, which of course I'll need to explore as well.  I just need to get this particular new find out of my system so I can get back to weaving baskets!

No comments: