Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Not Spending

My husband and I decided to limit our spending for the next few months - to simplify, to save more, to be fully cognizant of exactly where we DO spend our money.  My personal goal was initially to not spend anything at all for one month - but then I realized that I will be traveling and that might not be too feasible. 

Stopping before I make any purchase at all, and thinking about it, is actually rather enlightening.  It's sort of like keeping a food diary.  Do I really want it?  Do I really need it?  Why do I think I need to buy it?  Can I do without it?  What else could take its place?  And so on.  And just like food and eating right, it does take some pre-planning so I don't find myself in a situation where I need to spend money.

Amazingly, I'm rather enjoying the process.

No comments: