Sunday, November 10, 2013

Slower & Simpler - Work in the Mess?

Part of living slower and simpler is getting rid of stuff, clearing the palate, making room, downsizing.  But the following article by Yelizaveta Renfro has some interesting thoughts on living in the moment, so not necessarily cleaning absolutely everything up before starting to write, or draw, or weave.

It reminds me of some Baha'i teachings:
It is incumbent upon them who are in authority to exercise moderation in all things.
 (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 215)
......moderation is preferable.
 (Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 144)

But then I had children and moved too many times, and my writing place became right here, right now. I can spend time making a writing place, or I can spend time writing, because there isn’t time for both. And since the places all turn out to be temporary, I choose to write.
    *    *    *
Sometimes I can’t find tape to save my life, but I have all of these other objects always at my fingertips, and it is in the midst of these juxtapositions, this disorder and uncertainty, that I write. Not only does being neat and organized take time, but a tidy environment makes me feel compelled to have tidy thoughts. And never do they come that way. The disorder is freeing; may it all come any which way. May I dip into the sea of disarray and pluck out the objects that gleam in the light of the present. May I keep that which is important and push aside the rest for another day.
http://www.dailygood.org/story/593/the-place-where-i-write-yelizaveta-renfro/

So finding that moderation of living simpler, but keeping in mind what is important, using the "right here, right now", may take a bit of practice.  I tend to be a black and white thinker (working on that), and cleanliness is next to godliness, and whatever else my parent tapes are telling me.  It's that moderation thing that continually trips me up.
 


No comments: