Friday, January 31, 2014

Dreaming of School



The title of this blog may be a bit misleading.  No, I'm not dreaming about returning to school (at least I don't think so).  I had a disturbing dream last night,  realizing that I hadn't attended any of my classes or opened any of my books (at least it wasn't exam time yet). The feelings from the dream are still very present this morning, so that tells me I need to try to decipher them.

Some interpretations would indicate that I may be a perfectionist and am putting expectations on myself that are too high and I'm fearful of not meeting them. I may be neglecting an important issue in my life or am unprepared for a challenge.  Perhaps I feel that I'm slacking and not giving my best in some area of my life. Some might say it also entails fear of rejection, but I have a hard time relating to that last one.

I do believe that dreams stem from the unconscious mind (although I do acknowledge that they also occasionally result from eating something odd before bedtime) and may reflect anxieties and fears from my waking life.  And while the best way to eliminate or deal with them may be confronting and resolving the basic issues, the problem still remains of figuring out what those issues are!!

If a dream holds this much energy for me, and I can remember it so vividly, I do need to at least attempt an interpretation.....because I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Calculus, French, and Western Civilization.





No comments: