Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bird Song

Not being an ornithologist, I really can't identify most birds by their call. I sat on the deck in the sunshine yesterday, simply listening. I could hear an eagle, seagulls, crows and geese.  Sort of like the drums and bass to the rest of the orchestra (not that the eagle has a deep call!)

The remainder of the symphony, even to my untrained ear, played out in at least 10 different songs.  Not in a cacophony, but in an enchanting changing melodies that blended together.  Listening, truly listening, to the sounds of their calls was amazing.  Some of them were really intricate.

I want to learn to recognize my feathered neighbors, but both sight and sound.  I'm not quite sure how to go about that.  But this also brings to mind a conversation I had with a friend not too long ago.  Previously in life, we have never been interested in studying birds.  Now, as we "mature", we are becoming intrigued with them.  What is that?  Slowing down to appreciate nature?  Or just a symptom of old age?  Attention to detail?

The "quiet" of Lopez Island is gone, now filled with bird song.  They do have my attention.

No comments: