Monday, July 21, 2014

Perception of Time



To counteract my guilt for sleeping in again this morning, I reread an article I found awhile ago regarding the perception of time: http://www.scribd.com/doc/24699041/Perception-of-Time-in-Different-Cultures.

Americans live by the clock and calendar because they choose to do so, not because it is dictated by nature.  Punctuality is not questioned, it is almost worshipped.  In Japan, workaholism is common.  In Mexico they believe time is there to enjoy life, and in Burundi (Central Africa) they live by natural cycles, not mechanical clocks.

Most interesting is the Piraha Tribe of the Amazon rainforest.  They have no words for the past tense.  Everything exists in the present.  If it is not here right here and right now, it does not exist.  Everything is anchored in the present, and they do not try to control nature or time.  They are content with today's day.

Ever since mankind invented clocks, we've tried to control time, as if that were in any way possible!  Granted, living with no past or future tenses doesn't seem very comfortable.  But just possibly we've missed the boat (ah, pun intended) by not living more fully in the present.

Just thoughts...and obviously my attempts to excuse some much needed sleep.  I need to keep reminding myself that there is no one keeping track of when I get up in the morning.

No comments: