Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Artist At Work

Being an artist isn't just about the inspiration.  Sometimes it's all about getting the work done.  So I've found a simple solution for myself.

When I arise in the morning, it is so very easy to squander more time than necessary on the computer.  There are always emails to read and respond to, of course, and the calendar and workflowy list to peruse.  If some emails or offers don't lead me astray, then reading the news leads to other articles that are less news-worthy but interesting, which lead to another and another. And then a bit of housework beckons.  And lately, cooking even threatens to take me away from weaving.

So now, I'm trying to get into the habit of setting out, before I go to bed, whatever project I want to work on in the morning, with all the materials and tools that I will need.  Then it's much more inviting to sit down and start to work.  The preparations take only minutes (the same amount of time it would take in the morning), but having it ready and waiting for me just make it so much easier to get into the groove.  It makes me WANT to work.

Slowly, ever so slowly, I'm learning about being an artist and getting my work done.

              

No comments: