Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A.k.a. or i.e. or e.g.??

After writing an email to a friend, and using "aka" in as explanatory note, I wondered if I had used it correctly.  Yeah, I know, the things that bother me!

So for all of our edification, I discovered:

i.e.  is the abbreviation for "isto es" which is Interlingua for "that is".  I thought it was from Latin, which it could also be, as an abbreviation for "id est" also meaning "that is, or in other words".

e.g. is the abbreviation for the Latin "exempli gratia" meaning "for example".  Literally it is "for the sake of example" and is used to illustrate what is being discussed.

a.k.a. is, in English, the initialism of "also known as" or having the specified alias (it has different meanings in different languages!).

So.....now we know, even if we didn't need to know, or didn't know that we needed to know.  (And here I would use them all in a sentence...but I think enough said.)

No comments: