Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Becoming Obsolete

Yesterday I received a notice that it was time to re-order my daytimer, but I realized that I simply no longer use it because of Workflowy and Outlook linked to both my phone and computer.  (I still love jotting notes on a paper desk blotter though - where else to scribble quick notes while on the phone or a website.)  I definitely use my studio log book.  But I got to wondering what else was becoming obsolete?  Of the list that I found below, I'm still guilty of preferring bills in the mail....but I'm ever so slowly adapting.  Perhaps that might be an excellent goal for 2015??  Save those trees and become "Paperless"??


JHaughwout on Feb 12, 6:38 AM said:
Some of these are more obsolete than others:
1. Cassettes -- gone in all cars but used ones
2. PDAs - The concept is still there, but now assimilated into smart phones
3. Paid email - Gone
4. Dial-up - Almost gone
5. Film development - Virtually gone
6. Movie rental stores - While many are going bankrupt, but will be around for a while (especially for non-techies). I given then 10 more years (OnDemand TV is still not enough, downloading to computers is still to non-TV for many)
7. Maps - Still used outside the US, if smart phones kill GPS, they will still be used (try getting interactive maps on your smart phone when you are out of coverage). If GPS evolves form factor and smart phone integration, maps will die
8. Newspaper classifieds - Still on life support (at much cost) probably about 10 more years until complete death
9. Landline - It will take 20 years for complete death. We need more broadband penetration and VoIP that is as easy for SMBs to setup (and as trusted from reliability and fraud perspective) as landlines (http://lpoint.me/gau1vQ)
10. LD Charges - Going out with the landline, albeit faster on a revenue rate thanks to VoIP and mobile
11. Payphones - Almost gone
12. VCRs - We will soon see on 'Antiques Roadshow' "This was one of the original TOP-LOADING VCRs..."
13. Fax machines - Being assimilated. The concept is still around in many SMBs. Check many doctor's offices
14. Phonebooks, dictionaries, etc. - Dying. It will be interesting to see which stop printing entirely
15. Calling 411 - Telco fees vs. smartphone simplicity = swift death
16. CDs - Almost gone
17. Backing Up to Floppies - Not even possible on most PCs
18. Bills in the mail - We will have this for 20-30 more years. Both businesses and all generations of people need to make the change. We are not there yet
19. Buttons - The end is beginning.
20. Losing touch - I think you will see people pull-back from sharing due to privacy concerns and use social to keep a connection (but other ways to truly connect). I am already seeing 10x more people using privacy filters on social than I did 12 months ago.
21. Boundaries - Yes and no -- Egypt just showed both. Try surfing the net in Saudi
22. Paper - This will be around a long, long time. Electronics are simply not easy enough to use yet and still not trusted. Look at medicine (even eClinical has paper as he primary source for all drug discovery info). Tablets will lead the way, by enabling "Augmented Paper" It will be fun to be apart of this (http://lpoint.me/ffoe3o)

Great article. Good food for thought.


Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/22-everyday-things-made-obsolete-this-century-2011-2?op=1#ixzz3E9AaM3Xz

No comments: