Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Inspired or Simply Crazy

While watching a documentary this weekend on archaeological digs, I was inspired by some of the designs to sketch out ideas for a new basket.  Often this prompting to recreate patterns that I see in life stop me in my tracks until I can grab a piece of paper and draw them out - usually crudely but at least so I can remember what prompted my "ah-hah" moment.

It's this intangible connection to "otherness" - something outside of myself - that seems to narrow my vision occasionally so I can see something anew, feel a connection, and the need to express it someway in my art.  This transcendence actually takes my breath away at times.  It seems so outside of myself.  I won't attempt to name where it comes from.  Just that I recognize it when it does appear...and stand in awe.  And thanks.  Perhaps it is thinking like a child, and making simple connections.

Pablo Picasso once said: “It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” Picasso was able to continually reinvent himself by being inspired to “think like a kid.” Instead of being overly critical of his own ideas, he freed himself to sketch whatever struck his fancy. Unlike so many adults who became stifled by convention, Picasso was inspired by his right and will to be free—expressing himself unself-consciously.

Creativity is often served when we “think like a kid,” unfettered by all the reasons something might not work, but inspired by what could be.
http://landor.com/#!/talk/articles-publications/articles/five-of-the-weirdest-places-to-find-brand-inspiration/

But whatever it is, I am so grateful. My job, as I see it, is to be aware of those precious moments, and try to capture their essence.  And yes, I do realize that I sound a little crazy.  I can deal with that.









No comments: