Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Inspiration from Unexpected Quarters

My current reading includes Prison Poems by Mahvash Sabet.

The poems are rooted in experiences of oppression and false imprisonment. They are powerful, honest and deeply moving. As the publisher’s site indicates:Adapted from the Persian by Bahiyyih Nakhjavani based on translations by Violette and Ali Nakhjavani, these poems testify to the courage and the despair, the misery and the hopes of thousands of Iranians struggling to survive conditions of extreme oppressionhttp://phulme.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/recommended-prison-poems/

I am very touched by her poems.  And surprisingly, I'm inspired by them to weave a vessel, somehow depicting the strength, perseverance and total commitment to their Faith that the poems portray.  I could only hope that if I do create a piece expressing my personal response to this book, it would not be construed as truly understanding or in any way diminish the amazing strength of her writing.


No comments: