Monday, December 15, 2014

A Simple Summary of Living Simply

The following post is a perfect, simple summary of why I want to live simply.  As we work on clearing out the mainland house in preparation for selling it, I needed an easier way to sort through all the accumulated "stuff".  The easiest determining factor was would it fit in the house here on the island.  But for the smaller stuff, another way of making the decision was needed.  This is it!  If it's not my/our favorite, out it goes.  Actually, it helps me to breathe, when I can release this stuff.

How to Enjoy Your Favorite Things Every Day

How to Enjoy Your Favorite Things
I used to save my favorite things for special occasions. I thought that made them more special, or maybe I thought I didn’t deserve them all the time. Mostly though, I couldn’t enjoy my favorite things and all of the everyday stuff. It was too much.

It was too much …

  • to take care of
  • to afford
  • to think about
  • to enjoy
  • to appreciate
After decades of accumulating stuff and things, I forgot what my favorite things were. Ruthless decluttering was a great reminder. After selling and donating the majority of our stuff, we were left with our favorite things.

The best way to enjoy your favorite things every day is to only own your favorite things.

Having it all doesn’t require owning it all. Take a look at the things in your life, the things you use every day. Are they your favorite?
Clothing
Donate your duplicates, the jeans that haven’t fit in a long, long time, and those trendy items you thought would make you happy, but now reside in the back of the closet. Dress with less and wear your favorite things every day.
Equipment
Sell the equipment, gear, or supplies from the hobby you gave up years ago and make room for your favorite hobby or interest. If sleeping on the ground isn’t your thing anymore, let the tent go and discover more enjoyable ways to explore the outdoors. How do you really want to spend your time? Make time and space for that.
Kitchen
Use your grandmother’s china, the wine glasses from your wedding, and other things you love in your kitchen every day.
Decor
Display sentimental photos or other items instead of trendy decor.
Toys
If your kids play with the same things day after day, those are their favorite things. Donate the rest with their help.
The best things aren’t things, but less is not nothing. We do need some things in day to day life. Getting rid of the clutter, and things you don’t use or love provides space to discover what you really want and need, and the time you deserve to truly enjoy and appreciate it.

No comments: