Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Own Insanity

Today is the beginning of some lifestyle changes for me - of gently shifting my eating patterns, exercise routines, writing schedule, designing and weaving practices.  Operative word is gently - and undramatically.  Some of my habits need to change, but I don't want to go crazy about it all...just calmly trying some new routines and eating patterns, seeing what works and shifting again if necessary.

Which brings to mind the quote:  "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome".  So where did this quote actually come from?  Not too sure.

The definition of insanity...http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Benjamin_Franklin
I respectfully suggest that the quote "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to come out different" is a misattribution to both Franklin and Einstein. According to Google news archive, the earliest news article attributing the quote to Franklin is from 2004. The earliest attribution to Einstein is 1998 . By contrast, the earliest Google news article that attributes "time is money" to Franklin is 1849.
The earliest news article in Google's archives that has the quote "The definition of insanity is doing the same...." is 1991 to Zamberletti of the Vikings. He said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results". The earliest reference to "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" is 1989 to david boswell.
The earliest reference to "the definition of insanity is doing..." is 1986 to Tony Elliott of the New Orleans Saints when he said "the definition of insanity is doing over and over again things that can kill you".
A similar quote is from "Sudden Death" by Rita Mae Brown, from 1983.

And it probably doesn't matter its provenance.   I just know that if I want things to change in my life, if I want to get healthier and be happier with my work, I need to be doing some things differently.  That's all. Some helpful reminders now posted on my board:



           

No comments: