Thursday, October 2, 2014

Gone Fishing

This morning I woke up with a re-design in my head of my current project (and yes, one that I will implement after I'm off of the computer, even though it entails unweaving my work of yesterday), and that prompted the age-old question of just where do inspirations come from?

An interesting article on the subject (well worth the full read) at http://www.dailygood.org/story/806/picasso-on-intuition-maria-popova/ , when asked if his ideas come to him by chance or by design, Picasso replies: I don’t have a clue. Ideas are simply starting points. I can rarely set them down as they come to my mind. As soon as I start to work, others well up in my pen. To know what you’re going to draw, you have to begin drawing… When I find myself facing a blank page, that’s always going through my head. What I capture in spite of myself interests me more than my own ideas.

I love that.....what I capture in spite of myself.  It certainly feels like that, when an unexpected idea, concept, use of a material shows up in my studio. Of course, as the article states, I have to have shown up as well.

David Lynch, on where ideas come from, is also interesting.
 http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/05/09/david-lynch-interview-ideas-creativity/
You start with the desire of an idea, which he says is like bait on a hook, and once you hook one and reel it in, it's like having even more bait to reel in even more and bigger ideas.  

That certainly fits with today's mode, that my idea from yesterday has hooked an even bigger (hopefully better) idea.  (Love the analogy, too, because this basket has fish designs all over it!)  So perhaps the saying "gone fishing" is apropos for other things??

No comments: